Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No Longer Human

This has never been a political blog. Most of the time I find politics too bland a topic to discuss. Or maybe I have just been too comfortable to feel the need to discuss it. If a topic concerned me some I would think about it and maybe talk about it with those closest to me, but I always just figured everything would work out and there was no need to get up in arms.

The current healthcare situation, however, has me sleepless this very early morning. Yesterday I viewed a video in which Obama was asked whether or not a 100-year-old woman with a sound mind would be eligible for a pacemaker under his new plan. He skirted the question a bit and ultimately answered that there was a point in life when painkillers needed to be considered as an alternative to procedures.

Is this really healthcare for everyone? No. It is healthcare for those the government determines are worthy of healthcare. Will everyone who needs care get it? No. Only those who meet certain criteria. The elderly will be told to take a pill and wait to die.

I guess I should not be surprised that the government is once again trying to limit the definition of "human." After all, for decades we have known that there are those who are too young to fit this definition (as far as government is concerned anyway). Babies, in many cases through the ninth month of pregnancy, are brutally and legally murdered everyday. The barbaric and torturous methods used to kill these babies is unconscionable and yet our society accepts that it is okay because they do not fit into our convenient little box of what makes a person a person.

Now we are moving into a time when not only innocent babies, but also the elderly are outside the scope of what the government deems human. Who's next? The mentally ill? Single, white males? Christians? What's your demographic? Are you next? Or someone you love?

I realize that healthcare needs reform. This is NOT the way to do it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Growing up said...

I agree I've watched a lot of cspan and heard many people from Europe and Canada speak on their health care and how it has failed them but they always knew they could come here, and when they did their life was either saved or bettered while their government told them they had to wait up to two years!

I think Obama needs to work on the health care stuff the government already has... Medicaid, those doctors are already over ran, and underpaid and for that most of them dont spend the right amount of time with a person, and miss things or they can run test because they have to fight for it, in some cases it does work, but then you do have people that really need it and are asking for help but they dont qualify. I just wish they would get that in better working order before just doing something new!

Because Josh does work for the hospital we have our insurance threw them and it's really great, but then I have a friends who's stays at home, and her husbands work does not provide for her so she has private which she can barely afford. If the government wants to make a difference maybe they should try to help set FAIR guidelines for insurance companies!

8/12/09, 6:40 AM  
Blogger Oneida Bynum said...

Way to go Megan!!!!

8/12/09, 4:33 PM  
Blogger MrW00d76 said...

An Oregon woman, Barbara Wagener, found that her lung cancer had returned. An experimental treatment had the potential, she was told, to prolong her life and ease her discomfort.

Oregon has state-run health care, and Ms. Wagener was told that the drug was too expensive to be covered so she was given another option: the state could pay for assisted suicide.

This is what is going to happen to the elderly under Obama-Care. If you've outlived your useful 'life-years' you get some painkillers and a pillow or a death machine.

Ms. Wagener's pharmacy and her community pitched in to buy the treatment for her. Unfortunately Ms. Wagener died, but at least the state didn't kill her.
This administration is crazy and fascist in a very scary way.

I found this story all over the web. you can Google 'Barbara Wagener, Oregon, health care'

8/12/09, 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and virtually all Canadians would poop a hockey-puck if they lost their home and life savings because they had to go to the emergency room. We can all thing of tragic situations (like grandmas need a pace maker). What about the many, many children that are stuck in the middle - parents that make too much to get free health insurance and to little to afford health insurance. Think beyond what you are told by your conservative friends.

8/17/09, 5:37 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Actually, anonymous, I was once a single mother who relied on Medicaid for my children. When I married just two years ago, all of our children were on Medicaid for almost the whole first year. And then, even though we were suviving with six kids on less than a school teacher's salary, we were no longer eligible. What did we do? We prioritized. We turned the cable off. We turned the home phone off. I began couponing to reduce the cost of our needs. Our childrens' health was more important to us than conveniences. We cannot "afford" private coverage, and yet we have it because we altered our lifestyle in order to be able to provide it. And, if you read my blog again you'll notice that I formed my opinion from things I heard with my own ears and saw with my own eyes. I do not need my "conservative friends" to tell me that I do not agree with the plan that may be imposed. I am quite intelligent enough to come up with my own thoughts.

8/18/09, 5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home