Saturday, September 22, 2007

Kitchen Weariness

This is an actual disorder. Although it is not yet recognized by the CDC. I plan on making Kitchen Weariness my new cause. To fight for moms everywhere. The first step is education, so let me explain.

Kitchen Weariness occurs when a mom hears one of the following phrases one too many times:

"Meatloaf again! Oh man."

"Mom, I don't like this. Can I have some dessert?"

"I'm afraid if I eat this I might throw up."

Actual gagging sounds while eating.

"Can't we have something good for dinner tonight?"

At this point we throw our hands up in disgust because our ungrateful children have not eaten anything in at least 21 days. It is then that dinner denial sets in. We let dinner time slip by without cooking anything and then when the hunger cries begin to surface we whip up something totally satisfying, if a bit unhealthy. Like popcorn. Now popcorn on it's own isn't an unhealthy snack, but as a dinner entree, it leaves a little to be desired. But at this point you are just ecstatic to fill their bellies with anything that has a vegetable in it's name.

I used to get away with that pretty often, but now I have older children. I just know that they will run and tell their friends that they were allowed to have ice cream sundaes (milk group) for dinner and I will become that mother who doesn't care about the health of her children in all of those snooty PTA circles that I don't fit into anyway.

So, I had to come up with a solution. With 7 dinners to cook each week and 5 children...well, you do the math. Works out pretty good, huh? Each child (excluding Memphis of course) has a night where they must plan and help prepare dinner. That means that there are only 2 nights a week that I have to plan and prepare a dinner that everyone will complain about and nobody will eat! (Friday doesn't count, it's pizza night.)

It's been working out great so far. Of course, one night Carson planned a lovely pb&j with a succulent mac-n-cheese on the side, but what do you expect from a 3 year old? Brianna has made us some wonderful garlic cube steak and also some impressive enchiladas. Meyson made tacos and a really good lasagna. Cody has only had this opportunity once, but she made a fabulous spaghetti-a-la-Cody (spaghetti noodles with no sauce, just parmesan cheese). I did finally convince her that we should make some sauce for the rest of us.

I love not having to plan all of the meals and the kids really enjoy learning and encouraging each other. That's great and all but the real payoff came today. Meyson was describing his dinner plan and Carson said, "I hate lasagna," and Brianna followed on the heels of that with, "What!? No dessert?!?" Meyson turned to look at me and exasperation overtook him as he said, "It's never enough!"

Ahhhh...kitchen weariness. Doesn't feel so good to be on the losing end of that one does it? I think he may be the first man (ahem) to ever have experienced this disorder. My work is done.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow! that sounds like a great idea to have the kids pick the dinners, although i'm sure if i let taylor pick it would be chicken nuggets and pasta every night! maybe someday. . .

9/23/07, 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea and great writing!

Stephanie

9/25/07, 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh come on, Memphis could SO plan a meal. LOL Really though it's a great idea. So when is Brianna making enchiladas again and what time is dinner :D

9/26/07, 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home