Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Why Do I Do This To Myself?

I have mentioned before that I'm not the world's greatest housekeeper. This weekend, Brad and I are having our first ever house guests and I have a very deep need to present a clean home for them to stay in.

I know what you're thinking. Yes, we just moved into this house. How messy could it be, right? Let me enlighten you.

In the last two days, I have done approximately 385 loads of laundry. Sheets, towels, light clothes, dark clothes, whites, and then allover again. Then I stuck the kids in there so that the clothes they were wearing would be clean. Oh, don't worry, they loved it.

I have vacuumed my living room so many times that I won't be surprised when my vacuum finally says, "ENOUGH!" and blows up.

I have cleaned the bathrooms and the kitchen, but with eight people living in this house, that effort is futile until the last moment. If you have any tips on how to effectively teach kids to clean up after themselves let me know. Right now I just threaten them with an atomic wedgie, but obviously that hasn't been working for me.

I am so excited to have my brother and his family here that I want to make them as comfortable as possible so that they want to come back again sometime. I'm sure they would tell me not to bother, that they love me even if I am totally out of control. But, I need to do this. I'm convinced that if I had to live through the embarrassment of them seeing my house in such disarray, that the universe will implode. It's that serious.

It seems that Cody has inherited my defective cleaning gene. Her room is a constant disaster. Sometimes, when I walk in there, I think I am in the movie Poltergeist and that her room must be possessed to have become as messy as it is.

I recently relayed this to my mom who said, "Like mother, like daughter." Thanks mom. "Exactly," I replied, "that's why I'm trying to save her from a lifetime of messiness." And Mom reassured me, "I tried that too." Great. I cried in despair, "So my efforts are futile?" With doom in her voice she answered, "Yes, I'm afraid so."

I am currently searching for a support group for us to join.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home