Friday, January 11, 2008

I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good

I caught the Harry Potter bug. My brother and sister-in-law gave us the whole set for Christmas and I had never read any of them before. Now I am in the middle of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which some of you will recognize as the 6th book in the series. I can't stop reading them because it's like the story doesn't really end until I've finished the 7th book. And because I've been using every bit of spare time I've had to read, everything around me has become a reference to the story.

Our dog Junah, for instance, is the canine form of Dobby the house elf. I went to check the mail after dark a couple of days ago and I had the fleeting thought that I wasn't supposed to be outside after dark. I considered the name Sirius for our unborn child if it is a boy until I realized that anytime anybody asked him, "are you serious?" he would have to answer, "yes actually, I am" even if he was joking.

I really should have read these when I was a little younger and more adventurous because, while I can relate to some of what Harry and his friends are up to, mostly I find myself worrying about him. Which is ridiculous at this point because if Harry died there wouldn't be a seventh book. And I can pretty much guess that he will kill Voldemort in the end because why would we read seven books about a remarkable child who ends up not living out his purpose? By the way, please don't tell me if I'm wrong.

Everyone in the house is in on it. Brianna is almost finished with the first one, Brad is reading the seventh one having read all of the others a few years ago, and I had to steal number six from Meyson with the promise that I would only have it for a few days. The little ones watched the first and second movies but will have to age quite a few years before they will be allowed to watch the others. I think the second one was pushing it for Carson.

Anyway, I'm having fun with them, and if you haven't read the series, it's worth the time it takes.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't SIRIUS-ly be thinking about naming the baby that... Har.

1/12/08, 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please don't name the baby Sirius....now Hermione maybe LOL LOL LOL I'm kidding. I love those books. We have all 7 in hardback and even went to Barnes and Noble at midnight for the HP party when number 4 came out. Of course that we before we had kids and could be out at midnight LOL. I'm glad you're enjoying them. I think they're fabulous.

1/16/08, 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home