Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Baby Name Poll

I've already posed the question about whether or not Silas could be used as a feminine name and both responses were good. I can only assume that the rest of you did not like it and just did not want to hurt my feelings. That's ok really, I'm used to people not agreeing with my name choices and I know I have brought that on myself by crossing traditional gender lines and then (gasp) naming my son after a city! How could I?

Anyway, like it or not, boy or girl, this baby will be Silas or Sylas. Which brings me to the point of this post. Even if you hate the name, consider whether Sylas looks more feminine than Silas. I have never really been a fan of changing up spellings because then even if the name is simple, they have to spell it to everyone for the rest of their lives. I've had last names like this so I know how annoying that can be. That is why Cody is Cody and not Kodie.

Brad, while he has not made up his mind about the spelling either, thought we should consider this option and I think it's worth getting a public opinion on. So, what do you think? And just to be clear, we are only talking about the spelling change if the baby is a girl.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Change a Life, One person at a Time said...

You know about 10 years or so ago Sloan was really popular for a girl. I don't think Silas any different. You will probably find others after the deed is done. The spelling doesn't matter, just do what you like but don't make if hard for the child. Take the spelling of Meyson for example, most people will never know it was for his mother's families benefit since they are from Mexico. If spellin the Anglo way it would not have been Meyson at all.

4/30/08, 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote no on the spelling change.

4/30/08, 1:13 PM  
Blogger Growing up said...

Make it simple for the kid and dont change the spelling!

4/30/08, 2:44 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I actually like the spelling change and I do think it looks more feminine that way but honestly it's fine for a girl either way. Sure you could've done Codi, I've seen that for girls, but that's not YOU Megan. I think you should go with your gut on the spelling. Do you and (I guess his opinion matters a little ;) ) Brad like Silas or Sylas better for a girl? That's really the only thing that matters.

4/30/08, 2:46 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

And while I'm at it, I think Memphis is a fabulous name. I'm glad he was a boy but I'm sure it would've grown on me as a girl had he been a she (again not that my opinion of it truly matters) :D

4/30/08, 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Sylas.

4/30/08, 7:04 PM  
Blogger lfhcreative said...

Silas :)

4/30/08, 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home