Saturday, April 05, 2008

Do Not Beware Of Dog


With Brad gone so much this winter, I was glad to have our dog Junah with me. Even though she stinks and is the most emotionally needy dog I have ever encountered, she loves us and I had every reason to believe she would protect us if she had to. I'm glad I didn't know then what I know now.

I'm not the greatest housekeeper. This is unfortunate for Brad because my messiness is displayed without restraint in our bedroom. It has just become the room where everything that doesn't have a place goes (I swear these two topics are related, I haven't recently injured my head).

Anyway, last night I was busily typing out an email from my bed in our very quiet house when a book slid off of the top of a pile of crap. I thought nothing of it, but it startled Junah so badly that she jumped off of her bed (which is six feet away from my side of our bed) and onto my arms. All 45 pounds of her. Now, this dog has been trained from day one to stay off of the furniture, especially our bed, so I was shocked to find her on top of me.

I had to laugh when I looked at her face because she appeared to be as shocked as I was that she was where she was. It took her a good ten minutes to calm down. The incident was amusing to me until the thought crossed my mind that she is supposed to be protecting me, not the other way around.

I have to admit that Junah has grown on me. For the first few months after we got her, I wondered what I could possibly have been thinking when I fought to get her. She chews everything. She loses hair by the ton. In general, her behavior is not good.

She is getting better and all of her faults are redeemed by the way she plays with the kids. She loves them and is wild and gentle with them at the same time. If this baby is a girl, I expect that Junah will become Memphis' best friend. And I expect that she will watch over him. At least, she better.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home