Saturday, May 17, 2008

For Billy

My big brother turned the big 3-0 today. I called to see how he was handling it and found that he was reliving our youth through the music of the '80s and '90s. He and my sister-in-law are throwing a big party for him this evening and apparently he has made a huge compilation cd for the event.

He got me remembering events from our childhood, some I bet he doesn't remember. Like when we were very small and he used to beat me up and take my toys. Then as we got older he used to chase me around the back yard raking his fingers through my very long, tangled hair yelling, "chase, chase, chase!"

As we grew I found myself dodging tennis balls that came from the back of the bus where he sat with his friends. Oh, and Bill, remember the time you chewed up a cracker and spit it onto another cracker and then gave it to me and told me it was "spread"? Really glad I didn't fall for that one.

I'll never forget the time he came sleep-walking into my room and crying when I had a friend spending the night and told me that he didn't know if he was awake or not. And I'll always delight in the memory of our step-brother, Brent, lying on the ground, seemingly unconscious, with the pieces of a broken baseball bat strategically placed on either side of his head by Billy.

Really, my brother and I get along very well these days, thank God. If he hadn't outgrown being such a brat I definitely would have had to disown him by now. He is the best uncle my kids could've asked for. He's their "Uco Bebe" and they love him very much.

The funny thing is that I see so many similarities between the way Billy was and the way Memphis is. My son is constantly on the lookout for mischief. He has no fear and an endless supply of energy with which to test his physical boundaries. Sometimes he pulls Carson's hair just for fun. Yep, that's Billy.

If Memphis grows up to be like his Uncle Billy, I'll be just fine with that. I just hope his sisters and I survive the journey.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will survive - I did!
Love,
Mom

5/19/08, 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Memphis...:) I will have to have a talk with him and give him some button pushing pointers hehehe :) LOL

Seriously...that is a very sweet posting...made me cry..

Love,
Billy

5/22/08, 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home