Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Stealing water, saving lives

My friend Nicole and I just got back from visiting our other friend Karin on the East coast. We had a wonderful time, including visiting every Goodwill store in the entire city. I believe there were six. Yes, we spent a big portion of our vacation shopping at Goodwill. If you know us, you understand.

We also got to visit the beach which was really cool.

It was so good to see Karin and her family again. I just can't explain how much I miss her.

Anyway, one of the many highlights of the trip came after an incredibly bad experience with the worst airline in the world. We were walking out of the airport after missing our flight when a man who was walking through security started seizing. The amazingly helpful TSA agents stood there watching him stop breathing and began asking if anyone knew CPR. If you ever need help in an airport, do not ask the TSA people. You may as well have them sign your death certificate.

Nicole threw her bags down and ran in true Baywatch fashion to the aid of a man she had never seen before in her life. She did chest compressions and viola! he was breathing again. GO NICOLE!! YOU ARE MY HERO!

It doesn't stop there. Then she began consoling the man's hysterical wife while holding the man down because he was disoriented and trying to stand up.

Here's the really dramatic part.

There I am. Observing Nicole's bravery in a state of awe, thinking that if I ever choke on a chocolate riesen, she's the one I want standing next to me. Yes, that's right. I was standing there doing nothing. Well that's not totally true I was praying...and I stole water.

I know, that doesn't sound like helping, but believe me it was. Nicole said, "he's really hot, go get me some water."

Being very eager to do something other than pace, I ran (with Memphis strapped to my chest) to the nearest store and STOLE AQUAFINA. Yes I did. Ran in that store, grabbed the bottle, and ran out. Surely the man would not have made it if I had stopped to pay for the water.

So, the moral of the story is: If you don't know CPR, go take a class. If you do know CPR, do not be afraid to help someone. And if you are in a life threatening situation before you take CPR, don't be afraid to steal water.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am never going to live this down, am I?

4/18/07, 4:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

of course not nicole! you helped save a man's life! :o)

I'm so glad you got to come too!!! it wouldn't have been the same without you! can't wait to see you again!

4/18/07, 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home